Galway Film Centre and Galway City of Film are delighted to announce our new Short Documentary Bursary, the documentary funding scheme for filmmakers in Galway City and County.
We are looking for up-and-coming filmmakers to apply to this bursary to help them make one of their first steps in their early filmmaking career. Successful applicants will be given a bursary of €3000 to help them make a short documentary of between five and fifteen minutes in duration. They will also be mentored by a professional documentarian to help them make the best film they can.
The selected filmmakers will be mentored by Galway-based documentary filmmaker Donal Haughey of Hawkeye Films. Donal has produced and/or directed over thirty documentaries both for his own company, Hawkeye Films and as a freelancer. His projects have involved been both national and international stories, consisting of feature-length, one-hour, half-hour and short form docs. For twenty years Donal was the documentary tutor on GMIT’s Film & Documentary course – honours, Level 8. Presently he has two projects in research, one on our relationship with memory and secondly a project dealing with the Galway Magdalen Laundry.
- Proposed short films will be between 5 and 15 minutes in duration.
- Participating filmmakers must be from, or based in Galway.
- A bursary of up to €3000 is available per film.
- The participating filmmakers will be mentored by established documentary filmmaker Donal Haughey.
- Galway Film Centre encourages both English and Irish language project applications.
- Film teams must be prepared to go into production within 2-3 weeks of signing the agreement, and aim to submit their first cut by November 2021.
- Galway Film Centre encourages applications from female-led filmmaking teams. Selected projects will need to ensure a healthy gender balance across the filmmaking team.
- Priority will be given to diverse applicants. If you feel this applies to you, please include a short paragraoh addressing this in your personal statement.
- This bursary is not open to filmmakers that are currently enrolled in full-time education.
How to apply:
Filmmakers should submit their application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Each application asks for the following information:
- 1 page outline of documentary idea. (PDF)
- Personal statement/Cover Letter. (PDF)
- Proposed budget of up to €3000. (Excel file)
- 1-page current CV of each participating filmmakers. (PDF)
- 2 links to previous work, if applicable or available. (VIMEO/YouTube/Website)
- Email/letters of commitment from key contributors. (PDF)
DEADLINE for applications is: 12pm, Wednesday 4th August 2021
Shortlisted applicants will be called for interview. The proposed date for interviews is Wednesday 18th August.
Any further information please email: email@example.com